Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Castaway! Minus Tom Hanks! And Wilson! And, you know, a lot of other stuff.

Thanks alot, S.A. Bodeen!!  It's not like I have to get up and take care of my kids in the morning or anything!!

So, this gal has cranked out some good, quick reads.  They're spare, light on deadweight, and heavy on the TENSION.

Love it.  Can't put it down.  Then, I hate it when I have to crack open my red-rimmed eyes a mere two hours after turning the last page of her latest, The Raft.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wf%2BK3ZPSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The protaganist, Robie, is a teenager live on the small islands surrounding Hawaii, specifically Midway.  Color me stupid for not even knowing folks still hung out there.  You know, since we won the big war and all.  So, that information alone was fascinating to me.

Well, Robie catches a cargo flight home to the island after her plans to stay on the big island are cut short by her Aunt's work schedule.

Plane crash ensues and the nightmare of realizing no one is looking for her sets in.  She's set adrift with the only other survivor, the new co-pilot named Max. 

What follows is a gripping tale of survival, endurance, and coping in what could be called, a very stressful situation.

There's a good twist 3/4 of the way through.  I thought I saw it coming, but it still caught me off guard in a few ways.  I always appreciate when I can't figure everything out in a book right away. 

Read it!  You will love it!  Just don't start it at midnight if you have to be functional before 10 a.m. the next day, because this bad boy will keep you reading to the bitter end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment